Sunday 1 September 2013



BANGKOK
 

I finally touchdown in Bangkok after a stopover in KL or Singapore, can’t remember to be honest, but it is irrelevant, I am stepping out into the heat and smell of Bangkok for the first time and the adventure has truly begun.  
 
I have a room booked for 3 days at the Merisess on Sukhumvhit 16, a great location really and I would definitely stay there again.  There is a BTS train station about 5 minutes walk and plenty of eating and shopping choices nearby, but I guess that is par for the course in Bangkok and Thailand in general. 

 My 3 days turns into about 9 as I find myself loving Bangkok and go walking and exploring the city for a few hours every day, the exercise is nice and the little places I find are usually unique and interesting to say the least.  I’m not usually a city person but I love Bangkok, it is such a vibrant, hectic, contrasting and at times overwhelming city.  The streets are alive with people, an unbelievable array of food, strange sights and smells and I love the chaos of it all.

In only my first couple of hours here I meet a fellow Australian whilst waiting for check in as I have arrived early.  He is staying here also and provides invaluable help for my first day here as he takes me out for a few hours and helps me get a feel for the place, the public transport and a few general hints and tips.  Thanks Rod if you’re reading, I couldn’t have asked for a better start.  It turns out to be a trend over the next year as nearly all the people I meet turn out to be nice, helpful and approachable. 

During my time in Bangkok I explore, walk a lot, hit the driving range, try new food, meet good people, check out a few touristy sights, watch some AFL and generally just have a great time while adjusting to the country, language and new lifestyle.  But it is party time and I catch a bus South to Pattaya, one of the most infamous party towns in the world, it’s reputation is deserved but I soon learn there is so much more to the place than just the negative aspects it is known for. 
 
I say goodbye to Bangkok with a near all night party session and am feeling very unwell on the bus the next day, far too many cigarettes and whiskey’s has my body ready to erupt at any moment, from anywhere!
I finally make into Pattaya, my fear of bodily eruption subsided, though it is now dark.  Through a friend I decide to check into the Elephant Bar for a couple of days to get my bearings and then find something more permanent, I end up staying for the next 2 and a half months! 
 
 The owner is Rabbi, an Aussie and a great bloke with regular repeat clientele that are mostly golfers, as they organize golfing days at least 3 times a week.  Good food, good service and friendly staff, live international sports, great selection of music on request, a well ran establishment..  I still drop in and say hi when I’m in town.