Friday 25 October 2013



FROM SURABAYA SOUTH TO MALANG


A taxi the next morning got me to the local bus terminal Purabaya where I boarded for Malang, it was actually a very easy process, almost too painless and not challenging enough, but take the easy ones when you can.  In a couple of hours I was at the next terminal in Malang, just ripe for a good old fashioned rip off.  

I had no choice but to take the only transport available and bargained as hard as I could, walking off up the street before we both finally caved and agreed on a price.  Now that I know the angkot routes I could probably use the local transport next time, but i had no idea which one to take on arrival. 

I checked into the Armyn Guesthouse, once again booked through Agoda and was pleasantly surprised, this is a really great guesthouse with exceptional service and little extras that made for a great stay.  


I highly recommend the place if you are visiting Malang, and you should, it ended up being probably my favourite area of Java, though I haven't been everywhere yet.  So many amazing places to explore in the area if you're not scared to grab a scooter and go looking, as usual I did plenty of that.

I met up with a good friend of mine, Yuni, a sweet local girl studying chemical engineering at university, with a great sense of humour and a thirst for adventure.  She was never scared or reluctant to go exploring and would try almost anything.  We hung out in Malang for a couple of days seeing a few local sights before making the spectacular journey to the almighty Mt Bromo, icon of East Java. 


To be honest i had never heard of the place until about a month earlier when Yuni suggested it, turns out people from all over the world come here to see it and i'm certain they don't go away disappointed.