Sunday 29 September 2013



KAENG KRACHAN cont..   ANGRY ELEPHANTS
After leaving there and heading to check out Dao Cave, we’re still surrounded by jungle and this wild elephant comes strolling out onto the road! So obviously I go ‘holy shit, it’s an elephant… ’ and pull the bike up for some pictures. Well this elephant didn’t take too kindly to that and in the very short time it took me to pull up and look back, he was blaring his trumpet and started charging us, and he was fairly moving!! 

I near on shit my pants trying to get the fuck out of there on the scooter, with this wild elephant about 5 meters from trampling us!! Highlight of the trip I reckon, but there was another elephant encounter to come.

About 10 minutes up the road we came across a bigger one, that was looking pissed off already and I couldn’t get too close or go past him as he was being fairly aggressive. Us and another lady on a scooter waited until this truck came past and we tried to do a sneak mission as it went by, but the elephant was onto us and made a charge to cut us off.

 I don’t think I’ve ever done a u turn on a scooter so quickly. We both had to quickly get out of there and wait again, they’re a pretty scary beast when they’re charging you full tilt and you’re sitting on a scooter.

We got past him eventually by just running the gauntlet behind another truck, this big angry bastard still tried to chase us though and it certainly added some fun to the day. We made it to Dao Cave untrampled, and I reckon it’s worth a visit if you’re in the area and you’re into that sort of thing.  

We made a stop at a local country market on the side of the road on the way home, where this falang was once again a novelty, for 20 bags of food to go with a couple of beers on the balcony back at the hotel.  As soon as they realize you can speak some Thai though, the locals all warm up to you quickly and want to chat.

We also stopped at the Hua Hin Fishing Lodge briefly to scope it out for the next day, it is a little way out of town and on our way home. It looked like a nice little spot so the next morning I packed the rods and tackle bag and we headed off for a few relaxing hours.  It certainly was relaxing as there were only a handful of fish landed on my behalf, all catfish, which I now consider to be pests and aim my sights higher on some more exotic species such as the Pacu, Arapaima and Giant Siamese Carp to name a few. 

It wasn’t to be today and they still remain elusive, but a great day out and I did see a fairly beefy Siamese Carp pulled in by a fellow angler. A little pricey compared to some other parks, but knowing some Thai helped and I sweet talked a decent rate as I didn’t spend a whole day there.
Angry elephant number 1







Angry elephant number 2





Cave